July 28, 2021
This Privacy Statement explains our practices, including your choices, regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of certain information, including your personal information, by our website and it’s services (“OTJ”). https://onlineteachingjapan.com.
If you have general questions about your account, questions specifically about this Privacy Statement, or our use of your personal information, cookies or similar technologies, please contact us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that if you contact us to assist you, for your safety and ours we may need to authenticate your identity before fulfilling your request.
Collection of Information
We receive and store information about you such as:
- your name and email address. We collect this information when you use the Login with Facebook button to login to this site.
- Information we collect automatically: We collect information about you and your use of our service, your interactions with us and our advertising, as well as information regarding your computer or other device used to access our service (such as gaming systems, smart TVs, mobile devices, and set top boxes). This information includes:
- your activity on the OTJ service, such as title selections, watch history and search queries;
- device IDs or other unique identifiers;
- device and software characteristics (such as type and configuration), connection information, statistics on page views, referring source (for example, referral URLs), IP address (which may tell us your general location), browser and standard web server log information;
Use of Information
We use information to provide, analyze, administer, enhance and personalize our services, to process your registration, and to communicate with you on these and other topics. For example, we use information to:
- analyze and understand our audience, improve our service (including our user interface experiences)
- communicate with you concerning our service (for example by email, push notifications text messaging, and online messaging channels), so that we can send you news about OTJ, and to assist you with operational requests such as password reset requests. Please see the “Your Choices” section of this Privacy Statement to learn how to set or change your communications preferences.
Disclosure, Sharing and Joint Use of Information
We disclose your information for certain purposes and to third parties, as described below:
Whenever in the course of disclosing or sharing information we transfer personal information to countries outside of the European Economic Area and other regions with comprehensive data protection laws, we will ensure that the information is transferred in accordance with this Privacy Statement and as permitted by the applicable laws on data protection. You may also choose to disclose your information in the following ways:
- while using the OTJ service you will have opportunities to post reviews or other information publicly, and third parties could use the information you disclose;
- certain portions of our service may contain a tool which gives you the option to share information by email, text message and social or other sharing applications, using the clients and applications on your smart device;
- social plugins and similar technologies allow you to share information.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue. For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information. For content pages users edit themselves, the content is editable and can be deleted by the user at any time while the user maintains an account.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
- What are cookies?Cookies are small data files that are commonly stored on your device when you browse and use websites and online services. They are widely used to make websites work, or to work more efficiently, as well as to provide reporting information and assist with service or advertising personalization.
- Performance and functionality cookies: These cookies are not essential, but help us to personalize and enhance your online experience with OTJ. For example, they help us to remember your preferences and prevent you from needing to re-enter information you previously provided (for example, during member sign up). We also use these cookies to collect information (such as popular pages, viewing patterns, click-through and other information) about our visitors’ use of OTJ so that we can enhance and personalize our website and service. Deletion of these types of cookies may result in limited functionality of our service.
Embedded content from other websites
We use reasonable administrative, logical, physical and managerial measures to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft and unauthorized access, use and modification. These measures are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risks of processing your personal information.
Other Websites, Platforms and Applications